Tuesday, May 8, 2007

OMG did I win!? I never won anything before!

Kinda how I feel every time I have to call the OFAC "hot" line. You basically wait and wait and wait, and if you're really, really lucky someone might actually answer the phone (at this point I've forgotten why I called in the first place, and am sad to learn that I'm NOT the 10th caller and no I won't be getting those backstage passes to the Jimmy Buffett concert). Not to worry, though -- this almost never happens. More often than not, after waiting for an eternity, the "hot"line informs you that no one can take your call, please leave a message and someone will get back to you.

So this happened to me last week, and I think "Ok fine, I'll leave a message". What choice do I have?

One day goes by. Nothing. Why won't he/she call?

A second day. Nothing. Was it something I said? Maybe my message was cut off? Or maybe I came on too strong...

I take the next day off. Oops! They call. Ok, so three days ain't so bad. I can live with that. A nice guy from OFAC leaves me a message regarding my case, and identifies himself by his first name only, he predictably needs more information, and then leaves me a number to call.

Can you guess?

The hotline.

Get this guys: Businesses WANT TO COMPLY with the rules. What good can possibly come from a system that makes it so painful?

No comments: